Bad breath is often a symptom of a deeper underlying illness. Bad breath, also called halitosis, is the result of odors coming from your mouth which are highly unpleasant. These odors are often caused by bacterial buildup within your mouth, but can also be the result of something more heinous. Listed below are a few things you should know about bad breath to help you understand bad breath better:
– Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is often a cause of bad breath.
– Medications that produce dry mouth as a symptom is often caused by bad breath.
– Bad oral hygiene can cause bad breath, specifically the buildup of bacteria in your mouth.
– One of the best treatments for bad breath is mouthwash, as it can help wash away harmful bacteria and food residue that are the origin of many bad breath issues.
– Respiratory tract infections and kidney and liver issues are often a cause of bad breath.
– Avoid unnecessary habits that can contribute to bad breath, such as smoking or chewing tobacco.
– Bad breath is most often caused by unsuitable brushing and flossing, or lack thereof.
For more oral health care advice or to schedule an oral exam with Dr. Steven Rodriguez and our team at our dental office in Lansing, Michigan, please contact Healthy Smiles Dental Care™ of Lansing at 517-333-3160. We look forward to helping you soon!