Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Lansing is pleased to provide basic dental information to help you take care of your teeth. Please explore this page, and contact our dentists and team at 517-333-3160 if you have questions or to make your appointment at our office in Lansing, Michigan.
How can I take care of my smile between dental checkups?
We recommend that you visit our dentists every six months to help maintain good oral health. In between these visits, you should make every effort to take good care of your teeth and gums. Your at-home dental care should include:
- Brush and floss your teeth every day. You should brush at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a fluoridated toothpaste.
- Maintain a balanced, healthy diet with a limited amount of very sugary or acidic foods. You should also avoid tobacco, which can cause periodontal (gum) disease, oral cancer, and will most likely stain your teeth.
- Visit our office at least twice a year for a routine teeth cleaning and dental exam.
- Ask our dentist about dental sealants and fluoride treatment to see if they are right for your smile.
We welcome you to call our office at to learn more about basic dental hygiene in Lansing, Michigan, and schedule an appointment with one of Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Lansing’s caring dentists.
What causes tooth decay?
Tooth decay occurs when plaque combines with sugars and starches from foods to create an acid. This acid corrodes the enamel on your teeth, causing cavities. Regular brushing and flossing, and maintaining a balanced diet can help prevent cavities. Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Lansing’s dentists also recommend that you visit our office in Lansing, Michigan, for regular dental checkups. Contact us today at 517-333-3160 to learn more and schedule your appointment with our dental professionals.
Why are my teeth sensitive?
Tooth sensitivity occurs as a result of receding gums or fractures in your teeth. It is a fairly common dental condition, and many of our patients experience tooth sensitivity when they encounter hot or cold drinks and foods, or extremes in temperature. Our dental professionals can provide treatments to help restore your oral health and reduce tooth sensitivity at our office in Lansing, Michigan. We welcome you to call us today to learn more and schedule your appointment with one of our dentists.
How does fluoride work?
Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that uses a “remineralization” process to help strengthen and protect your teeth against decay. Our dentists recommend that you receive fluoride treatments every six months when you visit our office for a checkup. We also recommend that you consider using toothpaste and mouth rinse that contain fluoride as an additional preventive measure. Learn more about fluoride in Lansing, Michigan, and schedule your appointment with our dental professionals by contacting Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Lansing today at 517-333-3160.
What are the symptom of oral cancer?
Oral cancer is very easy to treat if diagnosed early enough. If left untreated, however, it can be dangerous not only to your oral health, but to your life. Common signs of oral cancer include:
- Sores in or near the mouth that do not heal within two weeks and bleed easily.
- The development of a lump, bump, crust, or eroded area in or near your mouth.
- White, red, or speckled whiten and red patches in the mouth.
- A constant feeling of something caught in your throat.
- A chronic sore or hoarse throat.
- Difficulty in chewing, swallowing, or moving the tongue or jaw.
- Unexplained numbness or loss of feeling in the tongue or other parts of your mouth.
- Swelling in your jaw or neck that lasts more than 3 weeks.
- Loose teeth.
What is gum disease? What are its symptoms?
Have you noticed that your gums are red or swollen, or that they bleed easily? You may have periodontal, or gum, disease. Gum disease can cause serious damage to your dental health if left untreated. If you notice any symptoms of gum disease, please contact Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Lansing at 517-333-3160 to schedule your appointment with one of our dentists.
If you have noticed any of these symptoms, please call 517-333-3160 as soon as possible to schedule an appointment at Healthy Smiles Dental Care® of Lansing with one of our dentists.